Community Walkway Guidelines
Welcome to the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge. We hope you enjoy our community walkway; however, for your safety and the safety of others, please be aware of the following guidelines and precautions:
- Daytime use only. Night use is prohibited.
- Be advised of possible gusty winds while on the bridge, and adhere to posted signs for temporary closures due to severe weather conditions. Use is prohibited when sustained winds exceed 30 mph or during periods of ice and/or snow accumulation.
- Walking, Wheelchair and Running Only. No Passing.
- No leaning or sitting on pedestrian walkway railings at anytime.
- Children ages 16 and younger must be accompanied by an adult and remain under close supervision at all times.
- Pets (on a leash) are welcomed; however, owners are responsible for waste removal.
- No skating, roller blading, skateboards, scooters or any motorized vehicles.
- No fishing or crabbing.
- No alcohol or glass bottles.
- No soliciting or weapons.
- No loitering.
- Bicycles are permitted, but must yield to pedestrians and maintain a safe speed. No racing, passing or high speed travel is permitted. Wide shoulder lanes on the roadway provide excellent access for cyclists.
Plenty of accessible parking is located in neighboring Elizabeth River Boat Landing & Park. Start your fitness routine here to reach the paved ramp that connects to the Pedestrian Walkway plus public restrooms and stationary fitness equipment. The Chesapeake park address is 1400 Elizabeth River Way and is accessible from Poindexter Street.
Reporting a Safety Concern:
Report any safety concerns to #757/545-3444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Norfolk Jordan Bridge is a private facility, and guests who are unwilling to abide by the safety guidelines are not permitted on the facility. Bridge is under video surveillance at all times, and Chesapeake and Portsmouth Police have permission to be on-site to monitor activities. Violators will be prosecuted.
Interested in ordering a custom plaque for display on our Pedestrian Walkway? Visit our Celebrate page for more information and an order form.